Saturday, February 24, 2018

Hiking Pololu

Once a day, one of the dogs and I are going down to the bottom of Pololu and back up.  I am energized to do this crazy and wonderful thing because we might have the chance in April to go to Lehua Island to try to finally obliterate the rats there who eat the eggs, adult endangered birds and their foods, the seeds that help sustain them.  The agency that takes care of the birds had dropped rat poison on the island and that took care of most of the rats, but surveillance cameras revealed two, at least, left and there was a worry that the poison may have killed some fish around the island.  So, the terriers may have to clean up the last of the Mohicans, er, rats.  Keep your fingers crossed.  If we get to do that and succeed, we may get to go to other islands that have problems such as that.  The curmudgeon might accidentally get happy and ecstatic!!!!  Aren't we glad that we have working dogs?!!!  I certainly am.  These rascals have been killing rats since we moved in.  I don't know if it helps.  The rats seem to be able to keep up with the loss of their cousins.  The ones I see are quite fat and healthy looking.  They go after the macadamia nuts and the avocados at night when the dogs are inside.  No, I can't let the dogs stay out at night.  That is when the Bufo toads run amuck.  If dogs bite them or just get them in their mouths, they usually die, the dogs, that is.  The toads give off some horrid poison from their skin.  Few dogs survive something like that.

The hiking is because the island is a mountain or cliff sticking up out of the water and the other person going is much younger than the old curmudgeon.  How could I let her beat me up and down those cliffs?!!!!  Not.

So, where are the pictures?  I'll get some, soon.  I still don't know how to get them onto the computer in a way that makes it even kind of easy to put them on the blog. I guess that I am just lazy.  I want it to be EASY, darn it!Kathleen took some picots a few days ago.Pretty cute, no?!!!Pip thinks this Barn hunt stuff is just the cat's meow!!!Reese is teaching Chip how to climb a tree to get a mouse.  Here she is after her ball, but that night, she DID climb a tree to get a mouse.  We watched her!!!  She had a ton of fun.

So much for us.  Latersville,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment